09 December 2005

word made flesh

John 1:6-28 (NRSV)
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him. He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God. And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a fatherÂ’s only son, full of grace and truth.

This is the text for this Sunday. Admittedly, I haven't been paying to much attention to the text for each week, not like I had before I did not have the responsibility for preaching each Sunday. When you preach every Sunday, you do feel like you are that one sent from God, to "testify to the light." Even if you don't feel like you are that one sent from God, that's your job.

And though it is now my job to see experience through the lens of faith, to work to allow light to shine in difficult places, that job is not so tied to community as it once was. I am linked to this community, to the various communities of my patients, but I am somehow in-between. This time of Advent, the season prior to Christmas, is also a time in-between. It is a time of "not yet", but a time when we can see the Word being formed in our mouths, in the mouths of others. As much as my life is a work in progress, so are all the lives that I see now, day after day, week after week. Sometimes I see the words of hope and life being formed in their mouths . . . eager to be spoken.

So I started this blog. And maybe it will be a place for my experience, for writing about family and children and parenting and the struggles we all engage and work through. And maybe it will be a place where those things can be looked at again through the lens of faith. I believe that I learn as much from my patients, from my church members, from my family as they may by some gift of God learn from me. We are all in this together.

And even though at this time of year we celebrate incarnation, Word made flesh, God becoming human, being born, we must also know that God remains among us; that Christ is still with us. And that is the light that we must give voice to and bear witness to.

No comments: